Long and unabbreviatable IPv6 addresses with random overloaded bits, vs. tunnelbroker

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Mon Nov 19 00:05:23 UTC 2012

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012, Constantine A. Murenin wrote:

> I came across an interesting problem in trying to find an affordable
> KVM provider with IPv6 support.

Does "affordable" mean cheap?...

> I've tried contacting them in an effort to receive any kind of a
> "proper" IPv6 address without the plaintext IPv4 embedment, but
> they've given me all sorts of crazy and (IMHO) far-sketched excuses;

So you've contacted cheapo providers and you are now surprised that they
can't afford to hire people who know what they are talking about?

> (HE's tunnelbroker.net, on the other hand, has no problem in giving
> out IPv6 addresses that, when abbreviated, can be represented by the
> same number of ASCII characters as an IPv4 address; for free, might I
> add.)

Clearly HE has people who know what they are doing when it comes to IPv6,
probably because they have made a MAJOR investment in both people and
infrastructure to do so.

Explain again why you aren't using HE for your services?

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442