Eaton 9130 UPS feedback

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 22:00:35 UTC 2012

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM, Robert Bonomi <bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com> wrote:

>> From: Blake Dunlap <ikiris at gmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 15:20:35 -0600
>>_

>> > Was this the 2U rackmount form factor, or the tower?
>> >
>> > Either way, I hope that you will pursue this with APC tech support. That's
>> > a pricey piece of gear, and it shouldn't toast itself at any time.
>> >

>> As a side note, how do you call a UPS "online" if it stays on bypass most
>> of the time, and throws out of "bypass" to go to battery?
>
> Reading the specs, it _is_ 'true online' normally, has a bypass mode if
> internal failure detected, or manually commanded.  UPS totally disabled
> in bypass -- if utility power fails while on bypass, downstream devices
> lose power.   In bypass, device provides 'passive' filtering of utility
> power ONLY.

Reading the users manual... pp 33, "Setting Power Strategy", it
indicates that normal operation is true online (as above) and that you
can change it to "high efficiency" mode, which is not online per se
(default bypass, 10 ms cutover if it detects a fail or spike).  So it
has 3 modes; default/normal (online), high efficiency (bypass
w/cutback), and partially failed (bypass only, UPS functions
disabled).

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com