Whats so difficult about ISSU

Alex dreamwaverfx at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 00:19:37 UTC 2012

http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/en_US/junos/topics/concept/issu-oveview.html

The Juniper ISSU guide.

You need two things:

1. Separation of the control plane and  forwarding plane
2. 2 routing engines in the same chassis -- the non active RE upgrades
first, then when its up and running the active one goes into upgrade
mode and control fails over to the secondary RE which is running the
upgraded version of the software.

I assume it works on any vendor that has 2 REs in the same chassis and
the fwd and control planes are separated, and there is a redundancy
protocol running between the two REs(like Graceful Switchover on Juniper
gear).