Whats so difficult about ISSU

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 16:07:22 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 7:31 AM, Felipe Zanchet Grazziotin
<felipe at starbyte.net> wrote:
> If your silicon vendor supports BSD's, of course.
> From my (little) experience most vendors SDK will be available to
> Linux and vxWorks but not BSD.
> This limits companies that are building equipments based on third
> parties ASIC to use anything but Linux.

You are right, of course, since the silicon vendors
customers decide what they want the device to support,
and that is (currently) Linux and VxWorks.  Some BSD
folk are trying to change that, by investing their time in
the patches/ports needed to support additional
embedded processor types/derivatives and make it a
viable platform.  There is even a Raspberry Pi port now
available for FreeBSD as I recall.  Ideally those efforts
will produce a viable ecosystem for BSD in this space.

Gary