Whats so difficult about ISSU

Pete Lumbis alumbis at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 18:33:47 UTC 2012

I apologize, I realized I forgot a critical word in my reply.

The new Cisco OSes are /NOT/ run to completion.

For IOS-XE we have Linux in charge of the scheduler with a
multi-threaded IOSd process responsible for the control plane.  I'm
not familiar with movements to put processes directly on top of the
kernel, but this would be a lot more like the NX-OS model where a
process like BGP can crash without taking down the system (or the
critical IOSd process for example). The down side of this model is
that control plane scaling, due to message passing, starts to have a
lot of overhead. You can see this in the fact that the NX-OS routing
scale is not where IOS-XE is.

-Pete