Verizon wireless (cdma/LTE) compatible ethernet connectable OOB access device.

David Hubbard dhubbard at dino.hostasaurus.com
Wed Nov 7 23:02:19 UTC 2012

OpenGear's stuff is awesome.

http://opengear.com/product-acm5000-g.html

We have the 5004G on Verizon, it has four serial ports,
ethernet and USB running linux.  We have a 5 gig plan
from Verizon and static IP for $50/month minus our
corporate discount.  Since it's put on a 'machine' plan
with them, you can get plans all the way down to I
think $5/month with a few megabytes of included data;
they treat it the same way you'd treat a cell backup
for an alarm and similar devices.

You can have the OpenGear unit keep the data portion of
the cellular side always live, or for added security and
lower risk of data consumption by drive by scans, you
can have it turn the data off and on by sending it text
messages to the associated phone number.

You can ssh directly to serial ports by using different
port numbers than standard, ssh in and then utilize the
ports, there's a web-based serial interface too so they're
really great for routers.  On the ethernet/web side you
can do things like vpn gateway, proxying, port mapping,
etc like you'd find in a typical consumer type soho
router, or you can lock it all down for whatever you
don't need.

My only complaint is no LTE version last I checked,
which is fine for serial ports but an LTE would make
it a lot nicer since then you could do more interactive
things like remote desktop, heavy web traffic and other
things that you might also want in a bind.

David