NJ impact

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Mon Nov 5 20:33:39 UTC 2012

On 10/31/2012 12:24 PM, Alex Rubenstein wrote:
> I had to summarize this recently for a news article I was interviewed for, so I figured I forward:
 >
> Of our three datacenters, this is what we saw:
>
> Parsippany 1 (OCT) - The worst we saw here was several sub-second power hits. UPS's held without problem, and we did not transfer to generator at all yet.
>
> Parsippany 2 (WBR) - Transferred to generator at about 7:55 PM EST Monday as a precautionary measure due to ongoing utility power hits. However, shortly after transfer, utility voltage went to 0 on all phases; around 10p power returned, but abnormally high (seeing about 550 volts on 480 volt bus). We retransferred last night as utility voltage settled down.
>
> Cedar Knolls 1 (MMU) - Briefly transferred to generator around 7:10, then back to utility. We then force transferred to generator around 8pm and stayed until this morning. Returned to utility and all systems are normal.

I would be interested to know how the power outages due to the storm
have negatively affected air pollution and the smog problem in the area.
Due to generators burning huge amounts of diesel, generators which
undoubtedly have no meaningful air pollution control to speak of.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/technology/data-centers-waste-vast-amounts-of-energy-belying-industry-image.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

"Most data centers, by design, consume vast amounts of energy in an
incongruously wasteful manner, interviews and documents show. Online
companies typically run their facilities at maximum capacity around the
clock, whatever the demand. As a result, data centers can waste 90
percent or more of the electricity they pull off the grid, The Times found.

To guard against a power failure, they further rely on banks of
generators that emit diesel exhaust. The pollution from data centers has
increasingly been cited by the authorities for violating clean air
regulations, documents show. In Silicon Valley, many data centers appear
on the state government’s Toxic Air Contaminant Inventory, a roster of
the area’s top stationary diesel polluters."

Greetings,
Jeroen

--
Earthquake Magnitude: 4.6