IPv6 Netowrk Device Numbering BP

Graham Beneke graham at apolix.co.za
Sat Nov 3 06:07:52 UTC 2012

On 03/11/2012 07:44, Randy wrote:
> Veering off this topic's course, Is there any issue with addresses like
> this ?
> 2001:470:1f00:1aa:abad:babe:8:beef < I have a bunch of these type
> 'addresses' configured for my various machines.
>
> I make it a point to come up with some sort of 'hex' speak address, what
> are peoples opinions on this?

Why bother? DNS supports all 26 characters ;-)

Its cute... but it tends to only be useful in fairly small deployments.
You quickly run out of nice combinations.

I prefer to choose addresses that allow for the most consecutive zeros.
Many UIs I've used display IPv6 address strings in very un-useful ways
as they approach the allowable length of 39 characters. Many require you
to resize your viewing window/column/etc to see the full address and
some simply truncate the string and refuse to show you the host ID portion.

--
Graham Beneke