IPv6 Netowrk Device Numbering BP

Chip Marshall chip at 2bithacker.net
Thu Nov 1 17:43:14 UTC 2012

On 01-Nov-2012, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> sent:
> The only exceptions to this parsing would be if someone handed
> you a textual representation of an IPv4 mapped address
> (::ffff:192.0.2.50), which essentially represents the partial
> decimal format Masataka is requesting.

I might be missing something here, but isn't that format already
valid for any IPv6 address, not just the special v4-in-v6
representation?

>>> import socket
>>> p = '2001:abcd::192.16.10.10'
>>> n = socket.inet_pton(socket.AF_INET6, p)
>>> socket.inet_ntop(socket.AF_INET6, n)
'2001:abcd::c010:a0a'

Or is the issue just the ntop part not giving you back the
decimalized string?

--
Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net>
http://weblog.2bithacker.net/          KB1QYW        PGP key ID 43C4819E