IPv6 Netowrk Device Numbering BP

Zachary Giles zgiles at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 12:37:19 UTC 2012

Though 2001:abcd::192:168:10:10 was written in a format with both :
and . , I think would could take the concept mentioned above and
extend it either by making it
2001:abcd::C0:A8:0A:0A
or
2001:abcd::C0A8:0A0A

Doing the latter wastes less space and let's the host use the upper
32bits of the host portion for vhosts.
Ex: 2001:abcd::1:C0A8:0A0A

Should be easy enough as something like pxelinux already squishes your
v4 address down to do file searching on tftp servers.
Ex: /mybootdir/pxelinux.cfg/C000025B for 192.0.2.91

I personally have for this "use the last 32bits of the v6 address for
the v4 dual stack address" trick and was happy with it. Still fits
with the concept of "give each host a /64"

--
Zach Giles
zgiles at gmail.com