Comcast Service for Non-Cap Bandwidth

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue May 29 17:52:30 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Nabil Sharma <nabilsharma at hotmail.com> said:
> I generate http test stream with DSCP code point 5 to match the Xbox service, however Comcast is rewriting the packets as CS 1, even when serving out a server at Soft Layer (paid peer).  This is why I ask for name of service Microsoft is using, it is not the regular paid peering.

It is my understanding that the Xbox On-Demand streaming is just talking
to the regular On-Demand servers at the head-end (just like On-Demand
over QAM works); the traffic has nothing to do with Microsoft's network,
peering, etc.  That's why Comcast doesn't count it against any caps; it
isn't transit traffic, it is local.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>