rpki vs. secure dns?

Richard Barnes richard.barnes at gmail.com
Tue May 29 17:37:45 UTC 2012

>>> So in RPKI, partial data – so you failed to fetch one of the ROAs in the set – can make something 'invalid' or 'unknown' that should actually be 'valid'.
>>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6483#page-3
>>
>> I wouldn't read that as saying that the RPKI requires you to have full
>> data in order to provide any benefit.  Where sufficient certs and ROAs
>> exist to validate an announcement, you can mark it valid/invalid --
>> just like ROVER, but with a harder failure case.
>
> I don't mean that you need ROAs describing every route announcement in existence for it to be useful.
>
> What I mean is for an operator to determine if a route announcement is RPKI valid, invalid or unknown, they will need *all* ROAs that *have been created*. If they miss a ROA in the data set during the fetching process, a route can end up with the incorrect validity state. See my example.

Oh, ok sure.  The validation outcomes with full data will be different
than with partial data.  But that's why the "unknown" state is there
-- as there's more data, things move from "unknown" to
"valid/invalid".

>>> As far as I know, ROVER doesn't work like that. You can make a positive statement about a Prefix+AS combination, but that doesn't mark the origination from another AS 'unauthorized' or 'invalid', there merely isn't a statement for it. (Someone please confirm. I may be wrong.)
>>
>> Of course, there's a reason that an announcement that contradicts a
>> ROA is marked as invalid [RFC6483].  Such announcements are hijacks,
>> the attacks that the RPKI is designed to prevent.  If ROVER doesn't
>> provide a hard fail here, then it would seem to not be providing much
>> security benefit.
>
> That does seem the case. I don't think ROVER provides a hard fail. Can someone confirm?
>
>> I agree with the person higher up the thread that ROVER seems like
>> just another distribution mechanism for what is essentially RPKI data.
>
> But does that distribution method easily allow you to get the full set of available data?

>From what little I know, it seems to me that ROVER is optimized for
point queries, rather than bulk data access.  Which is the opposite of
making it easy to get full data :)

--Richard