rpki vs. secure dns?

Richard Barnes richard.barnes at gmail.com
Tue May 29 16:33:51 UTC 2012

>>> no. dnssec for a response only needs that response's delegation and
>>> signing path to work, not "everything everywhere".
>>
>> My impression was that ROVER does not need "everything, everywhere" to work to fetch the routing information for a particular prefix -- it merely needs sufficient routing information to follow the delegation and signing path for the prefix it is looking up. However, I'll admit I haven't looked into this in any particular depth so I'm probably wrong.
>
> RPKI needs the full data set to determine if a BGP prefix has the status 'valid', 'invalid' or 'unknown'. It can't work with partial data. For example, if you are the holder of 10.0.0.0/16 and you originate the full aggregate from AS123 and a more specific such as 10.0.1.0/24 from AS456, then you will need a ROA for both to make them both 'valid'. If you only authorize 10.0.0.0/16 with AS123, then the announcement from AS456 will be 'invalid'. If you only authorize 10.0.1.0/24 from AS456, the announcement from AS123 will remain 'unknown'.
>
> So in RPKI, partial data – so you failed to fetch one of the ROAs in the set – can make something 'invalid' or 'unknown' that should actually be 'valid'.
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6483#page-3

I wouldn't read that as saying that the RPKI requires you to have full
data in order to provide any benefit.  Where sufficient certs and ROAs
exist to validate an announcement, you can mark it valid/invalid --
just like ROVER, but with a harder failure case.

> As far as I know, ROVER doesn't work like that. You can make a positive statement about a Prefix+AS combination, but that doesn't mark the origination from another AS 'unauthorized' or 'invalid', there merely isn't a statement for it. (Someone please confirm. I may be wrong.)

Of course, there's a reason that an announcement that contradicts a
ROA is marked as invalid [RFC6483].  Such announcements are hijacks,
the attacks that the RPKI is designed to prevent.  If ROVER doesn't
provide a hard fail here, then it would seem to not be providing much
security benefit.

I agree with the person higher up the thread that ROVER seems like
just another distribution mechanism for what is essentially RPKI data.

--Richard