DNS anycasting - multiple DNS servers on same subnet Vs registrar/registry policies

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue May 29 14:17:20 UTC 2012

Jimmy,

On May 28, 2012, at 9:58 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:
> The purpose of using a registrar is to establish DNS delegation, not
> to validate your site's redundancy meets the absolute best possible
> practices for fault tolerance.

Terminology nit: the purpose of a registrar is to allow folks the freedom to choose the service level/price that meets their needs. I assume you mean 'registry'.

> It's not appropriately so for a registrar to say anything your choice; thats your network not theirs.

An alternative viewpoint is that the parent zone is responsible for the child zone, thus the parent registry can impose what they feel are appropriate requirements to ensure the zones within that registry are maintained correctly. If you do not agree with these requirements, there are now over 200 other registries to choose from (and soon to be many, many more).

Regards,
-drc