NXDomain remapping, DNSSEC, Layer 9, and you.

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue May 29 06:37:29 UTC 2012

In message <20120529055919.GA23179 at vacation.karoshi.com.>, bmanning at vacation.ka
roshi.com writes:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 12:38:23PM +1000, Mark Andrews wrote:
> >
> > Putting it another way, the ISP doesn't want to be fooled even if
> > it is fooling its customers.
>
> 	don't lie to us, but we lie to our customers.
>
> 	and you don't see a problem with this?

I didn't say I like it.  It may even be illegal in some juristictions
for a ISP to do it without properly informing the customer and
allowing them to opt in/out.  Doing it to yourself however can't
be illegal.  In the end it is a tool and the method of deployment
is often as important as whether you deploy it or not.

It's a little like direct marketing via email.  If you have consent
of the party being emailed it isn't spam.  If you don't have consent
it is spam at least here in Australia.  Other juristictions have
looser guidelines.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC