DNS anycasting - multiple DNS servers on same subnet Vs registrar/registry policies

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue May 29 06:13:33 UTC 2012

> It is more important that a domain registrar not refuse to register a
> domain, or erroneously declare a valid listing invalid.
>
> The purpose of using a registrar is to establish DNS delegation, not
> to validate your site's redundancy meets the absolute best possible
> practices for fault tolerance.

just for my curiosity, where do you draw the line for technical
compliance?  do the servers need to serve the zone?  does the served
zone need to have the same NS RRset as the request and hence parent?
do the servers need to be able to answer compliant dns queries?  over
tcp too?

your first paragraph quoted above would seem to say that none of this is
needed.  the registrar's job is to stick the delegation in the parent
zone and actually functioning name service be damned.

randy, a naggumite