isc - a good business

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Mon May 28 19:52:57 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "paul vixie" <vixie at isc.org>

> On 5/28/2012 11:52 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
> > ... maybe a bit too much layer ten for my taste. ...
>
> on that, we're trying to improve. for example, we used to forego
> features that some of us found repugnant, such as nxdomain remapping /
> ad insertion. since the result was that our software was less relevant
> but that there was no reduction in nxdomain remapping as a result of
> BIND not providing it.

To clarify that a bit...

You're saying you used to decline to include in BIND the capability to break
the Internet by returning things other than NXDOMAIN for names which do not
exist...

but now you're *ok* with breaking the internet, and BIND now does that?

If that's what you mean, I'll explain to you why that's a bad layer 10 call.

*Now*, you see, we no longer have a canonical Good Engineering Example to
which we can point when yelling at people (and software vendors) which
*do* permit that, to say "see?  You shouldn't be doing that; it's bad."

"The Web Is Not The Internet."

Cheers,
-- jra