Industry practice for BGP costs - one time or fixed/monthly?

Edward J. Dore edward.dore at freethought-internet.co.uk
Fri May 25 16:18:13 UTC 2012

The only thing that I can really think of is that the BGP sessions do take up extra CPU time and memory on the routing engine, so there is an additional cost to the provider in terms of needing more routers and/or bigger routers if they have lots of customers speaking BGP to them that they may not have factored in to their standard pricing.

I guess there is also some extra cost in terms of NOC staff and systems to monitor the sessions as well as providing any troubleshooting etc. that they wouldn't have to do with "standard" customers that are statically routed.

Edward Dore
Freethought Internet