Re: Vixie warns: DNS Changer ‘blackouts’ inevitable

Michael J Wise mjwise at kapu.net
Wed May 23 06:14:41 UTC 2012

On May 22, 2012, at 10:47 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

>>> When those servers are turned off, Customer Support folks at many
>>> ISPs will prolly want to take their accrued vacation.
>> Amen.  And there will be thousands more of them when the court order
>> expires than existed when the Feds called him in.
>
> they could extend the court order, or prolong the do-gooder hack longer
> under some other pretext, increasing the underlying problem further.
> more infected machines and more job creation for front line support when
> the whitewash finally stops.

According to the pretty graphs, the number of machines querying the aforementioned infrastructure is going down.
Just not as fast as pretty much everyone would prefer…
and the DOJ is footing the bill, and grows tired of it.

So at some point, the lights are gonna be turned off.
It's a shame the ISPs who have the infected users have done less to mitigate the issue.
And many solutions were suggested, but all of them ended up being … perceived to be worse than just shutting it down.

Or so I recall the presentation that Paul gave to a bunch of us in San Francisco back in February.

Aloha,
Michael.
--
"Please have your Internet License