Current IPv6 state of US Mobile Phone Carriers

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Tue May 22 23:21:44 UTC 2012

On May 22, 2012 4:00 PM, "Paul Porter" <paul.porter at gree.co.jp> wrote:

> Hi NANOG,
>
> I'm looking for some information on the four largest US mobile phone
> carriers and the current state of their IPv6 infrastructure. Specifically,
> we are trying to figure out:
>
> 1.  How much of the carrier core and edge for AT&T, Verizon. T-Mobile, and
> Sprint are on IPv6 now?

Hi,

T-Mobile USA has native ipv6 to all subscribers in all of it's coverage
area. But, less than 1% of subscribers use IPv6 because they do not have an
IPv6 capable phone. The Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus work well.

This device challenge will improve in time.  Samsung is doing a good job of
bringing IPv6 to Android devices. More info here
https://sites.google.com/site/tmoipv6/lg-mytouch

> 2.  If, and how, are they handling NAT64 for native IPv6 edge devices?

Yes, NAT64 / DNS64 is used in the case of reaching ipv4-only nodes.  If you
are concerned about middleboxs, you should deploy IPv6.

> 3. What is the percentage of breakdown for users on native IPv6? Dual
> stacked?

Small today. As IPv6 becomes the default setting, that will change.

CB