YouTube Video Streaming

Thames thames at viewqwest.com
Fri May 18 02:37:30 UTC 2012

I would like to get some input for the following problem we face with YouTube video streaming.
We are an ISP in Singapore and peer with Google at Equinix and SOX (Singapore Open Exchange), For about 2 weeks we have been facing choppy streaming or continuous buffering on various YouTube videos. These problem videos are streamed at HD or original quality.
Our troubleshooting narrow down to those bad videos being streamed to us from outside Singapore. We contacted Google support, they are confused too, as why we are served from a cache server in Poland on one of the videos. The case has been escalated within Google, unfortunately no update from them since.

Not all YouTube videos are bad through us, some 45 minutes videos can fully buffered within seconds on HD or original quality, of course the IP we streamed for these videos are through our local peering with Google.

-Thames