Cogent for ISP bandwidth

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Tue May 15 14:16:06 UTC 2012

I'm most likely wrong, but doesn't Cogent basically just a lease dark fiber/wavelengths from Level3's for the majority of their POP connectivity?

I know they have purchased some assets in the past but I'm under the impression they're highly levered to L3.

Wont they eventually run into a squeeze (possibly man made and intentional) which will force their pricing to go up?

Although, I suppose folks have been saying that the pricing isn't sustainable since Cogent began.

This is likely off-topic for this particular thread but has anyone seen any evidence yet of issues resulting from the L3/Global Crossing merger as far as pricing?

-Drew