Protocols for Testing Intrusion Detection?

Darden, Patrick S. darden at armc.org
Tue May 15 11:27:38 UTC 2012

nmap has some modes that are useful for this:

nmap -sX network		#christmas treepackets are sent, nastygram, kamikaze, should light up any IPS
nmap -sS network		#stealth syn scan, should light up any good IPS
nmap -O network		#OS scan, should light up any sensitive IPS
nmap -o network		#udp scan, should light up any very sensitive IPS
nmap network		#ping + easy check for open ports from 1--1023, should only light up an overly sensitive IPS

Lots more modes, and lots more scales of sensitivity.  All of these are subjective.  DMZs, VMZs, inner networks, and private networks would all have different scales of sensitivity.  E.g. in my private network if I detected an "nmap network" then I would investigate.  In my DMZ I probably wouldn't take notice of such a general scan.

Does that help?
--p