Cogent for ISP bandwidth

Jason Baugher jason at thebaughers.com
Tue May 15 02:27:57 UTC 2012

On 5/14/2012 7:30 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> [...]
Sorry, been on this list for quite some time, and I even went back to
the archives. I don't see much there that is specific to Cogent doing a
bad job. If I go back a few years, I find stuff about Cogent-Telia,
Cogent-GBX, and even Cogent-HE IPv6 peering.
>> For a regional ISP looking for GigE ports in the Chicago/St. Louis area,
>> is Cogent a reasonable solution? Our gut feeling is that they don't
>> stack up against a Level3 or Sprint, but they are being very aggressive
>> with pricing to try and get our business.
> The implication of everyone's "in a BGP mix" responses, in case you don't
> get it (and I suspect you might not) is that you don't want Cogent to be
> your *only* upstream provider.
>
> If you're going to resell the bandwidth as an ISP, best practice says you
> should have at least 2 upstreams.  3 or more is better,
This would be a 3rd or possibly a 4th upstream.