Anyone have a layman's guide to writing an rwhois daemon?

Landon Stewart lstewart at superb.net
Mon May 7 23:34:43 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I just wrote a perl daemon that seems to be a working rwhois server but the
RFC is quite difficult to read for me.  When talking about the protocol it
mentions a bunch of requirements and describes them quite strangely
(see rfc2167 section 3.1.9).  Is there a layman's guide around somewhere or
can anyone lend some advice here?  Is what I wrote acting like a real
rwhois server - at least partially?

$ whois -h sirt.hopone.net -p rwhois 66.235.162.21
%rwhois V-1.5:00ffff:00 rwhois.hopone.net (HopOne Internet Corp)
servername:sls-cf7p17
domain:rac13a.com
ipaddress:66.235.162.21
ipaddress:66.235.166.15
ipaddress:66.235.179.110
abusename:Abuse Department
abusephone:206-438-5909
abusemail:abuse at hopone.net
%ok

(If you try running the command above it may or may not be running and may
not succeed)

If anyone knows where to get an rwhois daemon that has hooks for looking up
the data in an external database (not a .cdb database or flat file) I'd
appreciate it a great deal.  I won't want to waste too much time on this if
I can help it but I want a functioning rwhois server.  Our rwhoisd at
rwhois.hopone.net has been broken for a while and for the life of me I
cannot figure out what's wrong with the data formatting it's using.  I
attempted to join the mailing list for ISC's rwhoisd daemon but it's dead
(no volume on the list).

--
Landon Stewart <LStewart at Superb.Net>
Sr. Administrator