The Compexity Factor (was VoIP v POTS)

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu May 3 15:24:07 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ralph Brandt" <ralph.brandt at pateam.com>

> Yes, those things happen. But there are several such failure points in
> the POTS system and hundreds in VOIP. I support VOIP, ISDN etc. But I
> know all too well the failure points...

And here, Ralph puts his finger on what has always been my number one
concern about the Internet, as cool as it is:

The likelihood of a system's failure (and indeed, it's lack of complete
use) is proportional to -- not solely, but prominentl -- its systemic
complexity.

There really isn't much that can fail in a current day copper POTS install,
or more to the point: much that *does* fail.  There are probably an order
of magnitude or two more places that a VoIP residential phone line can stop working.

Sure, you get more capability, but does that outweigh the reliability
you lose?

My answer is Not Always.

Alas, I don't make those decisions.

The same process has affected other disciplines; most notably (for me)
photography: tried to buy a roll of 35mm ultraviolet film lately?  Locally?

Cheers,
-- jra