Operation Ghost Click

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu May 3 01:44:02 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> said:
> in the last 2 neighborhoods I've lived in... near/around ashburn, va
> (home to verizon, mci, lots of telco/bell-shaped-heads) I've always
> been serviced from a remote terminal, that has often failed when the
> power has cycled... There's a slew of places in the US where you don't
> actually go all the way back to the CO on a single copper pair :(

Here in Huntsville, AL, I'm not sure if BellSouth/AT&T has anybody left
on copper.  They rolled out a lot of fiber in the 1990s, slowed down for
the merger, and then picked back up.

Just over a year ago, the whole area lost power when tornadoes nearly
hit the nearby nuclear plant and took out a majority of the high-voltage
transmission lines and towers.  Over the hours after the power failed,
my DSL died, then POTS dialtone died, and then cell service died.
Suprisingly my cable TV stayed working the longest.  My cell phone also
returned to service first.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>