VoIP vs POTS (was Re: Operation Ghost Click)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed May 2 21:33:09 UTC 2012

On 5/2/12, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
> Personally, I'm thinking of ditching my ISDN (gives clear dial tone at a
> long-distance from the CO) for something like the Verizon Home Connect box.
> Gives a few hours of built-in battery backup, but would fail once the tower
> loses power (usually 8-12 hours).

Hi Jared,

Beware that the Verizon ONTs shut down all services *except* POTs when
they lose AC power. Some kind of conservation mode to maximize the
time 911 is available I guess. If you want Internet service (for VOIP)
to continue during a power outage, you'll have to stack another UPS in
front of it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004