Operation Ghost Click

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Wed May 2 20:10:28 UTC 2012

Sean Harlow wrote:
> Then you'll be happy to know that most VoIP phones default to and good VoIP providers gladly support G.711, the exact same codec used in all digital trunks in the POTS network.  Also, an on-the-ball VoIP carrier will be pushing G.722 "HD Voice" devices which offer about double the audio bandwidth in the same data bandwidth (64kbit/sec/stream) as G.711.

Technical specs aside I believe you are mistaken with regards to the
actual every day reality. My experience (and anyone else I talked to)
calling to and from mobile phones has been 100% a bad one with regards
to audio quality. I know the bandwidth allows for better quality, but
carriers don't do it, they do the opposite.

Why else would a mobile phone carrier feel the need to advertise an "HD"
(shouldn't it be "HIFI"?) quality line (i.e. a quality that's standard
with every land line and already suboptimal):

"Sprint Brings HD Voice Calls to U.S."

Whatever...

--
Earthquake Magnitude: 4.0