VPN over satellite

PC paul4004 at gmail.com
Tue May 1 02:58:55 UTC 2012

Most satellite modems offer built in TCP acceleration options heavily
optimized for VSAT use and an encryption option (proprietary to their
hardware only) which is probably your best bet.  You can then use
traditional encryption to your satellite provider (or take Ethernet handoff
at the satellite earth station with co-located equipment, if appropriate).

Otherwise, if this is not adequate you can use any traditional acceleration
solution at the end sites, just check with the vendor for how optimized
they are for your latency scenario.

For various reasons, you're best not bonding.  Just obtain a bigger space
segment.  It's literally scalable to at least ~35 megabit with ease by
buying the appropriate sized pipe.  Otherwise if you must bond I suggest
you consider traditional ip routing mechanisms to do so on a per-flow basis.