Outdoor Wireless Access Point

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Mar 31 23:49:08 UTC 2012

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:48:37 -0700, Network IP Dog said:
> I'm utterly amazed how many people give away free consultant work.

A lot of us are quite busy with $DAYJOB and not in a position to take on a
consulting engagement - and there's no good micropayment infrastructure to deal
with 20-minute consulting gigs anyway.  So we give away 5 minute chunks of our
time for the benefit of the networking community.  It's a large chunk of what
makes 'best common practices' evolve. (Hint - that consultant you hired?  How
much of *their* knowledge did they aquire from other people's free advice?)

And those of us who *do* go looking for consulting gigs often need to market
ourselves as somebody clued.  You read NANOG for a while, you get a good idea
of who is clued and who isn't.  And thus you decide who gets the gig.

http://www.xckd.com/979/