airFiber

John van Oppen jvanoppen at spectrumnet.us
Sat Mar 31 18:21:57 UTC 2012

We actually have a lot of the old gigabeam radios in service, they are faster than the published specs of the airfiber links (1G full duplex vs 750 mbit/sec fd) and lower latency due to their very simplistic design.     To be honest, from a network engineering standpoint, the gigabeams were conveninet as path issues would show up as ethernet errors that can be used to trigger reroutes or other events.    That being said, we did not have a large variety of switches as the microwave side of our house is made up entirely of just a couple of cisco models.    The gigabeams also have a pure OOB management setup.

John