uunet ends newsfeed/newsreader in US

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Mar 31 06:55:48 UTC 2012

> It's not pr0n that's killing Usenet, the problem is spam
> junk mail, chain letters

I gather you haven't looked at usenet for a long time.  The spam and chain
letters have followed the crowd.  I can't remember the last time I saw a
chain letter, and there's surprisingly little spam.

> E-mail address harvesters (where you get bombarded with direct-emailed
> crap if you dare post a message to USENET).

Spam sucks, but I've been posting to usenet with my real unmunged email
address since 1981 and my inbox remains entirely usable.  The idea that
the way to avoid spam is to hide from spammers is so 1990s.

Regards,