uunet ends newsfeed/newsreader in US

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Sat Mar 31 03:06:21 UTC 2012

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012, Joe Greco wrote:
> > Those of us still doing work with USENET know that it isn't dead, far
> > from it, but we're aware that there's a certain amount of illicit
> > traffic.
>
> A certain amount?  Even years and years ago, when I last ran a server,
> I'd wager porn and warez was statistically "all" of the traffic.

That clearly explains why glorb.com, a text-only transit site, is
currently rated fifth.

http://top1000.anthologeek.net/

> > It's kind of like the way that pr0n and w4rez dominate all the Internet,
> > but this doesn't seem to faze Internet network operators.
>
> Perhaps because the pr0n and w4rez are just bits on the wire for most
> operators, not terabytes of disk space on servers we own.

Oddly enough, I'd think that "bits on the wire" are kind of expensive.
Ports, circuits, etc. and those are on routers you own and circuits you
lease.

I can pick up a 4TB hard drive for $229.  And that's currently an
inflated price; back in September, 3TB drives were around $100.  With
traffic rates steady around 6TB/day for the past few years, IIRC, it
isn't too fantastically expensive to store two weeks of binaries.
Certainly cheaper than your average Cisco router.

... JG