uunet ends newsfeed/newsreader in US

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 02:48:58 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 6:31 PM, Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:
> Perhaps because the pr0n and w4rez are just bits on the wire for most
> operators, not terabytes of disk space on servers we own.

pr0n, w4rez, and other  large binaries encoded with UUENCODE  are easy
to identify and block.

It's not pr0n that's killing Usenet, the problem is spam
junk mail
chain letters

E-mail address harvesters (where you get bombarded with direct-emailed
crap if you dare post a message to USENET).

And the like.

The advantage 'forum sites' have is,   you don't reveal your e-mail
address to the public when posting.
And automated spam sending can be mitigated through the use of CAPTCHAs.

---
-JH