uunet ends newsfeed/newsreader in US

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Sat Mar 31 00:57:19 UTC 2012

Michael Sinatra wrote:
> active class newsgroups.  As you can see from examples such as CS 61a (
> https://groups.google.com/group/ucb.class.cs61a/about?pli=1),

Can someone help out mrshare?
https://groups.google.com/group/ucb.class.cs61a/browse_frm/month/2010-08

The above link and this one are a fitting illustration of what has
happened to usenet in the last decade and a half...

> "systemy" network engineers out there.  I enjoy running DNS, NTP, and
> other system-based network services an much as I like configuring
> routers.  I think running USENET a while back had a lot to do with that.

For the last 2 decades or so I have repeatedly tried to "get into"
usenet. But every time I loose interest and give up. I am not entirely
sure why because it can be a great source of information and to communicate.

It's probably a combination of signal to noise ratio, epic flame wars,
the user interface of many clients and the actual size (information
overload ;-).

But I am glad there exists something beyond "the web".

Greetings,
Jeroen

--
Earthquake Magnitude: 5.2