uunet ends newsfeed/newsreader in US

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Fri Mar 30 23:59:46 UTC 2012

> No comment just a question...  Why did it take so long?
>
> All good things must come to an end.  and for NNTP that end was when
> web based Forums software and P2P was invented.  Seriously does anyone
> still use UUCP for email?  I thought it should have died when pr0n and
> w4rez took it over (in the late 90's)..  but that ended up fueling the
> need :)  Who is the Kim Dotcom of usenet?  Lets bust him and move on.
>
> -Scott

I think there is still a place for things like NNTP and UUCP but maybe not as they were used in the past.  Private NNTP groups could be used to create discussion boards or even a coordination system for emergency response with each jurisdiction having its own group hierarchy.  UUCP could be used to move mail and "news" between locations via telephone dial if the conventional internet is broken.  UUCP has the advantage of moving email for entire domains rather than simply a user.  It could be a good emergency backup or used in places where Internet connectivity is spotty/denied but telephone service is available.

In fact I once had an idea of using NNTP as the "backend" database for a distributed ticketing system though it wouldn't "look" like NNTP from the UI.