French Regulator to ask all your information about your Peering

Fredy Kuenzler kuenzler at init7.net
Fri Mar 30 21:48:17 UTC 2012

Am 30.03.2012 23:20, schrieb Raphael MAUNIER:
> Sorry Fredy, but you are living in a care bear world ?
>
> Do you think some people build an intense national backbone
>
> You were @GPF last week, when Martin asked : Who want this to be
> regulated ? And Who want to have his peering controled ? why you didn't
> raise your hand ?
>
> In my memory, no one did.
>
> I didn't get my peering with France Telecom, so I get in touch with them
> and I have a fair contrat and I have a good backbone quality. In my
> market, I need for now direct access to them, and that's life.
>
> My business is not made on the "wishes" to have free peering with my
> incumbent.

I'm not saying I want this regulated, in fact I prefer to have it as it is
and keep authorities out of the game. That's why I didn't raise my hand.

But: Fact is that competition commissions and regulators are investigating
against incumbents and such. They could have avoided this easily if they
would have been more cooperative and keep their policy less restrictive. I
don't blame anyone who is filing against someone who is abusing market power.

Now, obviously, the French regulator sees the trouble and trys to understand
and 'regulate' it the way they do it usually. From our perspective certainly
not a good way, but why blaming the regulator? Blame those which made it all
happen! Read: the restrictive incumbents which put obstacles in the way of
everyone else.

You've choosen to pay to get obstacles away. Others prefer to call the
court. And probably the majority suffers in silence, especially the
countless broadband users which actually pay our salaries and make our
industry happening. Regulators should primarily care about those, and
therefore it's good that the French regulator actually made a move, however
arguably in the wrong direction.

F.