uunet ends newsfeed/newsreader in US

K. Scott Bethke scott at virtuaprise.com
Fri Mar 30 20:55:21 UTC 2012

On Mar 30, 2012, at 4:41 PM, Henry Yen wrote:

> uunet/vzb "will terminate its United States Newsreader and Newsfeed
> services on March 31, 2012
<SNIP>

> does anyone on NANOG have any thoughtful comments on this?

No comment just a question...  Why did it take so long?

All good things must come to an end.  and for NNTP that end was when web based Forums software and P2P was invented.  Seriously does anyone still use UUCP for email?  I thought it should have died when pr0n and w4rez took it over (in the late 90's)..  but that ended up fueling the need :)  Who is the Kim Dotcom of usenet?  Lets bust him and move on.

-Scott