BCP38 Deployment

Eric Brunner-Williams brunner at nic-naa.net
Wed Mar 28 16:54:44 UTC 2012

On 3/28/12 11:45 AM, David Conrad wrote:
> Actually, given the uptick in spoofing-based DoS attacks, the ease in which such attacks can be generated, recent high profile targets of said attacks, and the full-on money pumping freakout about anything with "cyber-" tacked on the front, I suspect a likely outcome will be proposals for legislation forcing ISPs to do something like BCP38.

in a note (which didn't go anywhere in particular) i pointed out that
contract may address the same issue for which legislation may be
proposed, at least for "contractual closures" (sorry, a term of my
own, defined below) which share the property some jurisdictions have
of a finite access provider universe.

i mean "contractual closure" to be the performance guarantee (or
non-performance guarantee) present in a set of contracts for a
particular service.

think "china", after first abstracting all the negatives associated
with policy as a property of a distributed, shared, public resource,
or "firewalls 4 (bcp defined) good".

-e