Muni Fiber (was: Re: last mile, regulatory incentives, etc)

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Mar 27 14:33:53 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Ray Soucy" <rps at maine.edu>

> Ignoring the fact that we haven't reached our limits with fiber yet

Not close, and we're at 100G already.

> The next major speed boost for broadband will be over fiber. And because
> the bottleneck at that point becomes equipment, we'll continue to see a
> healthy round of upgrades in speed over the same fiber plant.

And, much more to the point, ONTs will go over the edge of the Consumer
Pricing S-curve.  Bet *cash* on this.

But another more interesting point being missed here is this:  Assuming
pointopoint fiber, *you can provision different classes of service
appropriately*.  If some client wants to pay for 40G fiber?  Cool.
You can do that.  That in itself seems to positively skew the potential
for muni layer 1 installs, to me.  And it doesn't *preclude* the muni
operating a standardized layer 2 for those carriers who don't want to
do that part themselves; economy of scale will actually be productive
there, I suspect.

Anyone want to start Level 1 Communications?

Cheers,
-- jra