Muni Fiber

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Tue Mar 27 14:02:57 UTC 2012

Ray Soucy wrote:

> If people got serious about FTTH, I think a _very_ optimistic timeline
> would be something like:

Not optimistic at all, technically or operationally.  Politically and
legally are another matter:

> 2015 - First communities coming online, 100M to the home (probably Gigabit
> line rate, but throttled).

There's been quite a lot of FTTH for quite a few years now.  In addition
to the Verizon FIOS stuff - up to 135mbps down/ 35mbps up available
where I am (though I've been quite happy with lower speeds).

Municipal electric utilities have been deploying fiber right and left.
Probably 200 systems operational.  The two that come to mind immediately
are:

Chattanooga, TN - GigE FTTH Today - http://chattanoogagig.com/ -

Grant County PUD (public utility district), OR has had the fiber in for
a few years, selling wholesale - not sure what specific retail services
are available

There'd probably be a lot more available if the big telcos and cable
companies weren't doing everything they can to block municipal bids.