last mile, regulatory incentives, etc (was: att fiber, et al)

david peahi davidpeahi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 17:53:32 UTC 2012

I have discovered that the Federal School Lunch E-Rate program has built
out an entirely parallel fiber optic infrastructure in the USA, bypassing
telco fiber in many urban areas such as Los Angeles/Southern California.
There are now companies that exist solely to construct E-Rate fiber.
Sunesys is one such company.
E-Rate builds out fiber to schools and libraries, and the telcos apparently
have lobbied to ensure that a lateral to a library, for example, does not
become a local fiber hub, but the backbone fiber can be used by anyone,
with laterals built to order.
I do not work for any of these E-Rate companies, but have discovered their
potential use for connecting my network locations together.