$1.5 billion: The cost of cutting London-Tokyo latency by 60ms

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Mar 26 13:32:18 UTC 2012

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 08:59:34 -0400, Rodrick Brown said:
> HIgh frequency trading does provide a service to the financial markets as a
> whole despite what the media and government politicians will have you think.

OK, I'll bite. What benefit does the market *as a whole* get from the ability
to do trades in 60ms rather than 120ms?  (Hint - the fact you can extract
money via more arbitrage transactions per minute is a benefit to the trader,
not the market as a whole - if you extract $100M from the market, it came
from somewhere....)