Muni Fiber (was: Re: last mile, regulatory incentives, etc)

joshua.klubi at gmail.com joshua.klubi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 09:09:31 UTC 2012

But they also deserve to have or enjoy the benefits that comes with living in the big cities

--

Sent from my Nokia N9

On 25/03/2012 15:47 Jay Ashworth wrote:

Well, for my part, /most of the poiny/ of muni is The Public Good; if /actual/ bond financed muni fiber is skipping the Hard Parts, it deserves to lose.

Time to assemble some stats, I guess.
-- jra

Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

Who cares?

It's time to stop letting rural deployments stand in the way of municipal deployments.

It's a natural part of living outside of a population center that it costs more to bring utility services to you. I'm not entirely opposed (though somewhat) to subsidizing that to some extent, but, I'm tired of municipal deployments being blocked by this sense of equal entitlement to rural.

The rural builds cost more, take longer, and yield lower revenues. It makes no sense to let that stand in the way of building out municipalities. Nothing prevents rural residents who have the means and really want their buildout prioritized from building a collective to get it done.

Subsidizing rural build-out is one thing. Failing to build out municipalities because of some sense of rural entitlement? That's just stupid.

Owen

Sent from my iPad