last mile, regulatory incentives, etc

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sat Mar 24 19:41:25 UTC 2012

It's easy to ridicule the outliers, but the reality is that without USF the
majority of rural America that has Internet connectivity today wouldn't be
online.  Yes, the price-cap carriers didn't do much in rural America, but
that's because there was little economic incentive to do so.  Rate-of-return
carriers had the incentive to invest to earn a return, and they did that.
Many of the independents serve small communities and there is an element of
local pride in providing good service, and coops seek to serve their members
well, and do the same thing.

BTW, the FCC in their recent USF/ICC rulings has put a cap on the funding
per customer per year to $5K, so you won't see any more of the examples
listed in the Connected Planet article.

Frank