last mile, regulatory incentives, etc (was: att fiber, et al)

Joseph Snyder joseph.snyder at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 13:34:07 UTC 2012

For those who didn't Google it.

http://www.ftthcouncil.org/en/knowledge-center/case-studies/amsterdam-city-fiber-project-analysis

Joseph Snyder <joseph.snyder at gmail.com> wrote:

Lol too early in the morning, that much for so few, but if you are going to govt fund copper replacement, it's probably the way to go. Not sure how costly that would be in the US since even in the cities there are a lot of duplexes.

Joseph Snyder <joseph.snyder at gmail.com> wrote:

Any details on how much this cost, maybe I just missed it in the article. 40k. It sounds interesting but in the US this would only make sense in cities and most people don't live in MDUs. Where I live a lot of peoples driveways are a mile or two long.

Marcel Plug <marcelplug at gmail.com> wrote:

This article from arstechnica is right on topic. Its about how the
city of Amsterdam built an open-access fibre network. It seems to me
this is the right way to do it, or at least very close to the right
way..

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/03/how-amsterdam-was-wired-for-open-access-fiber.ars

-Marcel