$1.5 billion: The cost of cutting London-Tokyo latency by 60ms

Marshall Eubanks marshall.eubanks at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 12:36:55 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:51 AM, George Herbert
<george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM, Marshall Eubanks
> <marshall.eubanks at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Note that each pulse was probably millions or even billions of neutrinos, so
>>> the detection rate was even worse than you'd think.  I saw a statistic that
>>> every second, 50 trillion neutrinos pass through your body.  And the number
>>> that will interact is well into the single digits.
>>>

>> Small detection numbers are not, per se, fatal to communication. What
>> fraction of the photons generated by a GPS satellite are captured by
>> your phone?
>
> Much higher fraction than with neutrinos.  Remember their MFPs are
> measured in light-years...

Actually, at the energy they used it's more like 0.1 light seconds.

>> The neutrino interaction rate increases with neutrino energy, and sea
>> water makes a good neutrino detector. You could, for a billion
>> dollars, do
>> a LOT better than they did.
>
> On the detector end, sure.  On the transmitter end, it's just not a
> well collimated beam due to physics, and no matter how hard you try
> the generation of neutrinos is a low-efficiency process.

The beam width was < 2 meters after 1 km, equivalent to ~12 km after 1
Earth radius. The beam can be made tighter by going to
higher energy and using more or better post collision focusing
magnets. The  KM3NeT detector in the Mediterranean will be more
sensitive, 3 km across and will cost order 200 million  euros. With
better magnets, the existing beam could be made to be the size of that
detector at 1 Earth radius. So, existing technology could certainly
communicate across the Atlantic or the Pacific. The real question,
again, would be what it would take to get the bit rate up.

Regards
Marshall