Monitoring other people's sites (Was: Website for ipv6.level3.com returns "HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error")

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Fri Mar 23 04:27:09 UTC 2012

I and my customers users IPv6-enabled sites.  If it doesn't work (a hopefully their web browser uses HE) I want to know, and know when it happens.  Yes, many sites aren't monitoring their own IPv6-connected content, but I've had reasonably good success privately letting them know when it's down.  And communicating to them when it's down lets them know that people care and want to access their IPv6-enabled content.  Last, monitoring IPv6 access to many different sites brings our own connectivity issues to the surface as they arise -- we had one inside Level3's network last week Friday and it was resolved about 18 hours later.  If we had not monitored it's possible it would be much longer before it was discovered and troubleshot through the regular sequence of events.

Frank