last mile, regulatory incentives, etc (was: att fiber, et al)

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Thu Mar 22 17:44:19 UTC 2012

If it's done on a box owned by the incumbent then sharing has evolved into
giving away free service to competitors.  It's different when copper pairs
into a house could be latched onto anyone's switch.  Once you start
requiring a carrier to give away capacity in it's network that's
different.  Also, diversity/redundancy becomes dodgy at this point.  Not
that the billions of dollars they are making didn't come into the
discussion, but it seems like its more complicated to share fiber access
than it was to share copper pairs.